Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Review: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation

It was a long and tiring work week last week with the busiest and most draining day being yesterday, Valentine's Day. I'm so exhausted today but glad to be back in my regular routine so I am doing a review that I've been wanting to do.

Maybelline recently released a new foundation called Fit Me. According to their website, "It's makeup that fits you." There is no oil or wax. It has a natural coverage and allows skin to breath, be fresh and natural. It has an exclusive translucent base along with lightweight pigments. This allows the skin's natural highs and lows to show through. It is also dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic.


Along with the foundation, there is concealer, pressed powder, blush and bronzer. I only thought about it now but I should have taken a picture of the display at the store. The interesting thing is that there is a chart which shows if you use this color foundation, then you use this powder, this concealer, etc. All of the products have a color name and are number coded. For example, when I first made a purchase, I bought foundation 130 and the concealer that it was coordinated with was 15. 130 was waaay too dark for me so I switched it to 125 Nude Beige, powder in 125 Nude Beige and concealer was still 15 Fair Clair. I found that foundation 125 Nude Beige was still a little too dark for me (it made me look like I have a ruddy complexion), so I purchased foundation 120 Classic Ivory and powder 120 Classic Ivory. If I remember correctly, by following the color matching chart, I should be using a different concealer, which would be lighter than the 15 but I decided not to buy it. Foundation 120 Classic Ivory is a little too light for me, making me look somewhat ghostly so unfortunately, I have to buy two different colors to achieve my ideal color. The good thing is that these are quite inexpensive since they are a drugstore cosmetic line.

I have been using these foundations, powder and concealer for well over a week now and I must say that I'm quite impressed! It's supposed to be natural coverage and I like to have medium to full coverage but I find that this gives more than ample coverage. When using it in conjunction with a primer, it is long wearing. I usually don't even do any touching up unless I have to go somewhere in the evening. It does have a slight, sweet scent to it but it's not overpowering and it's quite pleasant. It doesn't linger.

Bare face which has been prepped with my usual morning routine and primed with Missha BB Boomer (a review will be upcoming after I use it more).


The foundation comes in a screw top bottle, which many of us do not like because it's not as sanitary as a pump and it's harder to control the amount of product that comes out. I've found that instead of trying to pour it onto my fingers/hand, I completely cover the top of the bottle with my hand (which is clean) and tip the bottle over. After righting the bottle back to an upright position, I then remove my hand. Usually the amount of product that is there is sufficient for what I need. If I need more, then I repeat the process. The foundation itself is not extremely runny nor it is extremely thick.


Using the technique that I blogged about a couple of posts back, I apply the two different color foundations using a stippling brush--actually two stippling brushes, one for each color. Comparing the bare-face picture with this one, you can see how much coverage there is.


I have not used powder in a long, long time because when I do, it tends to make my skin too matte and the dreaded fine lines show up. I was brave and applied powder and while it does help to set the foundation, it doesn't turn it into a matte finish and it doesn't bring out the fine lines. Again, very impressive! The powder is quite fine. I've also used dermablend concealer to cover the large dark spot on my cheek.


Here I have completed my makeup for the day by applying Physician's Formula Happy Booster Pink Heart Rose Blush (upcoming review on this too). Yup, another drugstore brand. On my lips is Canmake Maxi Volume Rouge in 02 Pink Berry.


After over 12 hours of wear, this is what my face looked like without any touching up. This was just after a very long day at work with a lot of running around, going in and out of a cooler, etc. It still looks quite decent.


This is what the concealer looks like. It is in a squared tube and has a doe foot applicator.


Here's I've applied concealer 15 Fair Clair to my undereye area and topped it off with a light swipe of powder 120. By the way, I never use the powder puffs that come with the powder compacts. I always apply with a very soft powder brush.


Even with the addition of concealer and more powder, the fine lines are still kept at bay. Overall, I'm very impressed by this foundation. I haven't used drugstore products in a long time but as I mentioned in a previous post, I think that drugstore brands have really stepped up. I can't remember exactly what I paid for each of the items but they were all under $10.00 USD. Combining the cost of all 4 of the items still came out to around the cost of 1 brand name foundation bottle that I use. I do believe that I will continue purchasing and using this (until a better one comes along. Yes, I'm fickle!). It hasn't broken me out nor has does my face get a prickly feeling that I often get when using a drugstore brand of cosmetic.

One thought that I have had is that perhaps the dreaded fine lines aren't showing up as much because it is the result of using Olay Regenerist Resurfacing Elix Moisturizer. As I mentioned in that review, I do think that my skin is looking more refined since I started using it.

*Kat*

14 comments:

Jenni said...

the foundation looks glowy on you! the happy booster blush looks radiant :D

p.s. i haven't got time to go to the PO and ship the package, but i will ship it asap I promise!

Anonymous said...

this foundation looks awesome on you! glowy and flawless :) i think i may check this out when i arrive at Hawaii. Is it made in the US? I'm sorry for not being in contact with you via email. I guess you must be really busy with work with the valentines day and everything. I hope you had a lovely v day!

galpal.hi said...

@Jennifer--Thank you so much! I really am liking this foundation so far. Please do not rush to get the package out to me. I'm will not be in Hawaii next week since I'll be vacationing in Las Vegas.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Nic Nic--Thank you! Yes, it's made in the US and it's sooo inexpensive. I think that the cheapest store to pick it up at is Walmart.

Starting from today, things were supposed to pretty much go back to normal but there's now a bit of a glitch--in my personal life. I'll now for sure in a couple of hours how bad it is.

*Kat*

sugar sugar said...

it does cover imperfections and looks good on you kat. :D

Georgina said...

this base makeup routine looks AMAZING on you Kat! and im impressed you didnt need to touch up after 12 hours of wear...in your busiest work day evarrr! hahaha

thank you for sharing this, im happy to know there are drugstore brands out there with great quality cosmetics. :)

evie said...

WOWWW it looks perfect the coverage is fantastic! perfect for me too haha..and it has the two magic words: dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic <3
would definitely buy it if it comes to my shore..*prays hard

galpal.hi said...

@sugar sugar--Thank you very much. I'm really quite impressed by this very inexpensive, drugstore foundation.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@coffretgorge--Thank you! It's quite impressive, isn't it? I'm really loving this foundation. I really believe that the drugstore brands have upped the ante on their quality.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@evie--I'll pray too that this will hit your part of the world. I'm very picky about foundations so I'm really happy that I found something this good. If you can figure out what color you are, I'd be happy to help you buy it.

*Kat*

Fruity Lashes said...

the coverage seems amazing but i do wish it comes in a pump design. look forward to your BB boomer review =)

galpal.hi said...

@Fruity Lashes--Yes, coverage is really good. Pump would be great but I'm getting used to using it as is. I will do the BB boomer review in beginning of March since I want to use it for a bit longer before I do the review. I would do it next week except that I will be gone.

*Kat*

Steph said...

fabulous review as always~
i've actually been eyeing this foundation every time I walk past the display at my local drugstore~
the coverage && lasting abilities is quite nice =]
definitely intriguing, but i'll have to try out the testers a couple more times before picking up a color....

galpal.hi said...

@Steph--Thank you! I hope that you find a good color match for yourself because I think that you'll really like this foundation. Too bad it's not like Sephora where you can get a decent sized sample to test out before purchasing.

*Kat*