Friday, February 11, 2011

Applying Foundation--Kat's Way

NOTE: This is a scheduled post.

I really feel uncomfortable saying that I'm doing a tutorial because I'm not a professional makeup artist. By no means am I saying that the techniques that I use are the proper way to do things when in fact, they may actually be BIG no no in the beauty industry. These are just techniques that work for me and I don't mind sharing with you in case you might find it helpful too. With that being said, I will instead use the phrase "Kat's Way" because it is truly representative of that type of post.

So onto today's post...

How many of you have difficulty finding a "perfect" match for your foundations? *Raises hand* I do! I often fall in between two colors. I either live with being a little too light or a little too dark or, as is usually the case, I buy both colors and mix it to create the perfect color. Sometimes it's a highly precise mixture--for example 9 parts of this to 7 parts of the other--it is almost never equal parts. Tired of mixing and creating the precise formulation mixture, I hit upon this idea. Perhaps it's not anything new but I've never really read about anyone doing this. Instead of mixing the colors, I will apply both colors directly to my face.

Here's a sketch of how I apply the foundations:

Hehe, doesn't it look like a really bad picture of a ski-masked robber? (I found the "blank" face picture online.) The shaded areas are where I apply the darker foundation. I usually apply the lighter foundation over my entire face. The order in which I apply the foundations depends on how dark the darker foundation is. If it is much darker than I prefer, then I apply the darker foundation first and then I apply the lighter foundation, concentrating it in the non-shaded areas on the picture and then making sure to stipple it all over the darker foundation to tone down the darkness. If the darker foundation is just a tad too dark for my liking, I will apply the lighter foundation all over my face first and then lightly apply the darker foundation in the shaded areas. With either of the applications, it is important to make sure that you carefully blend the areas where the two colors meet so that there is no distinct lines.

The darker foundation goes from the hollows of my cheek down to the end of my face, up the sides of my face to the temples and on the forehead. I also apply it to the sides of my nose. The lighter foundation is concentrated in all of the other areas, including running it along the top of my nose to create more height.

By doing my foundation in this manner, it also contours my face at the same time. There's no need to highlight my undereye area with a highlighter. When I apply my foundations in this way, at least I'm not ghastly white or too tanned. I've been doing this with a couple of different brands of foundation and with a BB cream. The outcome in all instances have been similar. (Yes, I have 2 of each--in a lighter shade and a darker shade.)  So far it has been working out nicely. I'm happy because it means no more mixing for me!

*Kat*

14 comments:

sugar sugar said...

wow! this is a great technique. :3 thank you so much for sharing this kat! :)

. said...

That's actually really quite ingenius! Thanks for a very useful post! I certainly also fall in between shades! I normally just settle for being a shade too dark or light, must try this next time!

Hope that everything is going well for you and that you're not *too* busy looking after your mother in law!

Steph said...

that's actually really smart!!! but i usually just buy one shade && stick with it =p
or pick a different foundation =p

galpal.hi said...

@sugar sugar--Thank you! I'm glad that you enjoyed this post.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Jian--*runs and hugs* How are you?!!! Are you Dr. Jian yet? I hope that your studies are going well. I'm sure that you're doing fantastic. I'm glad that you found this post useful. I must admit that I'm really liking the way it helps to contour the face in a very subtle way.

Thank you but unfortunately, my mother-in-law just returned this week so I've been busy watching her. I say unfortunately because it happens to be a very very busy week with it being Valentine's Week so we're not at home as much to watch her better. It's been a bit worrisome for all of us.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Steph--If you're able to find a shade that matches you, then you are sooo lucky! Unfortunately, it seems that I fall in between shades with just about all brands of foundation and I've tried so many. Wish that I could use just one shade--it would save me some money.

*Kat*

Anonymous said...

this is such a clever way to contour! i think it'll look more natural too, than like a disco ball that some bronzer will create!

. said...

=) Ahh glad you still remember me Kat! I am okay thanks, 1 week from exams. If all goes to plan I will become a doctor in 2013, (taking a year out for research next year), otherwise I'd be one next year! Scary stuff.

Ah yes, valentine's day. Hope everything calms down a bit after that so you have a bit more time for yourself after doing everything else that you need to! I noticed I wasn't following you on Twitter so I sent you a twitter follow request! =D Take care!

Fruity Lashes said...

it's really nice to do foundation this way and the drawing is nice!

galpal.hi said...

@Nic Nic--Thanks for your kind comment. I'm finding that it really works well for me this way.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Jian--Of course I remember you! Good luck on your exams! I'm sure that you'll do very well though.

I'm really enjoying this Valentine's holiday at work. It's actually been quite fun this time around although we do still have the big day on Monday so we'll see just how crazy, busy it is. I already accepted your twitter request.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Fruity Lashes--Thank you for your sweet comment. I honestly LOL'd when I saw the drawing after I shaded it in.

*Kat*

astrorainfall @ beauty box said...

That's so creative! I never thought of using a lighter and darker shade together for foundation...(!!!)

galpal.hi said...

@astrorainfall--Thank you Yuming! I think that this came about more from laziness than anything else.

*Kat*