Monday, February 7, 2011

Review: Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara

Note: This is a scheduled post

I read about this in the Lash Cards newspaper article and then later on I read a review about it on Rouge Deluxe (thanks Haru!), I knew that I wanted to try it. It's only $10.00. Fortunately, our local Sephora was already stocking this item. (Oftentimes new items that are released by Sephora online don't show up in our stores 2 - 3 weeks later.)

I was surprised by how small the tube is. It is only .07 oz/2 ml.

Compared with Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara Tube

The brush is really cute. It really is a mini size of a full brush.


Again comparison with Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara Brush

No mascara:


With bottom lash mascara:


I really like the brush. It is nice and small and you can really coat your lashes well. I also used it to get to my upper lashes on the inner corners. The one thing that I didn't like is that the Clinique mascara formulation is very wet. I tend to like drier mascaras. It takes a while for it to dry and since my bottom lashes face straight down, it touches the skin on my under eye and can smudge. The only good thing about the mascara being so wet is that it does give me enough time to clean up the under eye area before it dries and stains.

On my Lash Cards--Yay or Nay post, CL commented that she used Dejavu Fiberwig Tiny Sniper mascara and that it clumped badly on the small brush. I did not find this to be true with the Clinique, HOWEVER, since I always screw up applying mascara to my lower lashes, I decided to go with the Lash Cards concept and used a piece of cardstock to help me apply the mascara. It really helped a lot! The size that I used was approximately the length of the short end of a business card and made the width just a small bit wider than my eye. It really did make for easy application and and didn't have to worry about getting mascara on my under eye, except while waiting for it to dry. I still find using the Lash Cards concept too fiddly to use it for my upper lashes though.

My overall take on the Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara is that it's a great concept. I really do like the brush but not the mascara. I think that I will try using the brush with either the Gokubuto or Gokunobi mascara. If I can use it with those mascaras then it'll be awesome. If not, then I will have to consider repurchasing this mascara again. I must admit though that I don't use mascara that often, especially on my lower lashes. I think that it's mainly because it was such a pain to apply. I wonder if the Lash Cards concept will still work out well using the regular-sized mascara brush on my lower lashes...

*Kat*

13 comments:

sugar sugar said...

I think the lash cards will still work even with regular sized mascaras. :) And, you're right you should use the applicator with another product that works well for you. ;)

galpal.hi said...

@sugar sugar--Yes, I will definitely need to try out the lash cards concept using a regular mascara brush. I really love how cute that Clinique bottom lash mascara brush is though.

*Kat*

Steph said...

i usually skip my lower lashes too~
you just posted about this a couple days ago && you found it!!!
the size difference is really cute~
perfect for travel though~

galpal.hi said...

@Steph--Yeah, I was really happy that Sephora had it in stock already. I know that I could probably get it from Macy's but I'd rather buy from Sephora where I get Beauty Insider points.

*Kat*

Jenni said...

thanks for your detailed review :) i like the concept of the brush but not clinique mascaras in general, boo. but i should check out the Gokubuto mascara which you have mentioned a few times ;)

Anonymous said...

thats a nice concept - fiberwig does that too. last time i remember using it like 3 yrs ago, it was pretty clumpy... but i reckon their formula is probably better now. i can definitely see the difference there! thanks for the review KathY!

K said...

Thanks for your review! A youtube makeup artist that I really like enjoyed this mascara as well. How did it wear during the day?

Unknown said...

Do you think it's really worth purchasing another mascara just for the lower lashes? I have the same issue where my bottom lashes kind of touches the skin around the eyes.

galpal.hi said...

@Jennifer--Yes, I love the Gokubuto! I think that I want to try the Fairy Drops Scandal Queen mascara that Sephora will release soon.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@K--Oh cool! I hadn't seen any youtube reviews on it but when I read about it in that newspaper article, the concept sounded so good. I didn't experience any flaking while wearing it throughout the day so that's a good thing. It also didn't smudge my under eye area, another plus. Removing it was a rather simple process too. I just didn't like the mascara formulation because it's too wet.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Fannie--Thank you for commenting. Actually, it's probably not worth it to buy a mascara specifically for your bottom lashes. I would call it a luxury item. However, I really, really like the brush and if it works out using it with the mascara that I really like, then it would be worth it just for the brush.

*Kat*

Mona said...

WOOHOOO for the review! i was looking to try this! but it's itty bitty!

galpal.hi said...

@Mona--Yes, it's quite small but oh so cute! It really does make it easy to get to your inner eyelashes.

*Kat*