Thursday, February 24, 2011

February's Brush Purchase

I already did my brush purchase for this month. I liked the Sonia Kashuk synthetic multi-purpose flat top brush so much that I went back to Target earlier this month and decided to get Sonia Kashuk blusher brush.


I like this brush very much. It's soft and applies my blush evenly and smoothly. I use this to apply NARS Laguna. For usual blush application, I really like a full, fluffy, soft brush and while this brush is soft, it's not quite fluffy enough for a blush application. It's perfect for my bronzer though. (I use Bare Escentuals Flawless Face Brush for applying my blush.)

I also went ahead and purchased a Sonia Kashuk Fluffy Eye Shadow Brush because I have been waiting and waiting for a NYX brush to come in and it hasn't yet. I understand from the stores that they've been on backorder for such a very long time. Unfortunately, this brush isn't soft and fluffy as I was hoping it would be. I think that the feel and shape of the bristles are more on par with a MAC 239 Eye Shader Brush, which I also happen to like.


I think that the black handled brushes are of a higher quality than the white handled brushes. It costs less for the white handled brushes and the packaging isn't as nice. Still a very good buy for either line. I think that the black handled brushes are very good and reasonably priced.

Speaking of packaging, any ideas what I can do with the hard plastic cases that the brushes come in? I won't use it to store my brushes since it'll take up so much storage space but it seems like such a waste to just dump it.

*Kat*

14 comments:

sugar sugar said...

the black brush looks amazing! i have read so many raves about sonia kashuk but these aren't available on my country. ^^

maybe the white handled E/S brush will get softer after a few washes.

you can use those plastic to store accessories for when you travel and can use it for sending gifts/items on mail so that the things you send won't be damaged. :) hope that helps. ;)

Brianna said...

I have only heard great things about the Sonia Kashuk brushes, especially the black-handled ones you have written about. Definitely somethign to add to my list of future purchases!

I agree with the previous commenter about the box, you could use it as a gift box. If you lined the inner plastic and such it could be a cute gift box for various items.

Jen said...

*sighs* don't tempt me! I love SK brushes. I don't why they were ever discontinued in the UK :( KK x

Steph said...

i hope i find some SK brushes when i cross the boarder~

yah i usually toss the plastic packaging...but the gift idea thing is kinda cute..

evie said...

Heard a lot of good reviews about them but its not sold here :( luckily there is ecotools here!..hmm for me I would use some of e plastics as an seperaters for my vanity box lik putting all my eyeliners in them and slotting them next to my mascaras .... err I hope u understand what I'm describing as I seems to be confused with myself too haha.will twitpic if u lik!

K said...

Wow, I really want to try the SK blush brush! I wish I had picked it up in Hawaii!

galpal.hi said...

@sugar sugar--Thank you for your comment and for your wonderful suggestion! I love trying to recycle things and using it for something else since it sometimes seems wasteful to just throw something away.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Brianna--You should definitely check out the Sonia Kashuk line of brushes when you get back to the States. OMG! Only a couple of months more before that happens. I'm sure that you must be excited and sad at the same time.

Thank you for your input of how to use the cases. I hope that I can easily remove that brush holder part that is in the middle of the case (that you snap the brush handle into). If I can remove it, it will definitely make it easier to use as a gift container.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Kei Kei--That is really unfortunate that it was discontinued in your country. Please let me know if there's anything you want me to pick up for you. I'd be glad to do so--we can work out a trade or something...

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@Steph--I hope that you can find it too. For the price, it is really a great line of brushes! I'm so happy that K mentioned it and made me want to try it out.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@evie--Thank you for another great idea on how to use the containers! Yes, I totally understood what you were saying. Ecotools is another line of brushes that I like to use.

*Kat*

galpal.hi said...

@K--I'd be happy to pick one up for you. It would be my pleasure!

*Kat*

Mona said...

ohhhh i'm tempted to try the shader brush! i love my mac 239 haha but you can never have enough brushes right? :P

galpal.hi said...

@Mona--You definitely can't have too many brushes, especially those of higher quality. That's why I'm doing a purchase a brush a month to try to build up my collection, whether it's to add something that I don't have or to add duplicates of some that I use all of the time. That way I can wash my brushes without any fear that it won't be dry in time for the next use.

*Kat*